Thursday, February 26, 2009

Gallilieo

I have a homework asignment for history called a H.I.P. (historicaly importent person) report. I am doing it on Gallilieo. I pretend I am him and tell about my life. Here it is.
I was born to my parents Vincenzo Galilei of Florence and Giulia degli Ammannati of Pescia and Giulia Ammannati in Pisa. I was born on February 15 in 1564. I was baptized on February 19 in the cathedral of Pisa. I was the first of six children four of my six brothers and sisters survived infancy. My full name was Galileo di Vincenzo Bonaiuti de' Galilei. I enrolled for a medical degree at the University of Pisa at my father's urging. I did not complete this degree, but instead studied mathematics. In 1591 my father died and I was entrusted with the care of my younger brother Michelagnolo. Although a genuinely pious Roman Catholic, I fathered three children out of wedlock with Marina Gamba. I had two daughters, Virginia in 1600 and Livia in 1601, and one son, Vincenzo, in 1606. Because of their illegitimate birth, their father considered the girls unmarriageable. Their only worthy alternative was the religious life. Both girls were sent to the convent of San Matteo in Arcetri and remained there for the rest of their lives.[12] Virginia took the name Maria Celeste upon entering the convent. She died on 2 April 1634, and is buried with me at the Basilica di Santa Croce di Firenze. Livia took the name Sister Arcangela and was ill for most of her lifeVincenzo was later legitimized and married Sestilia Bocchineri. In 1610 I published an account of my telescopic observations of the moons of Jupiter, using this observation to argue in favor of the sun-centered, Copernican theory of the universe against the dominant earth-centered Ptolemaic and Aristotelian theories. In 1612, opposition arose to the Sun-centered theory of the universe which I supported. In 1614, from the pulpit of the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella, Father Tommaso Caccini (1574–1648) denounced my opinions on the motion of the Earth, judging them dangerous and close to heresy. I went to Rome to defend myself against these accusations, but, in 1616, Cardinal Roberto Bellarmino personally handed me an admonition enjoining me neither to advocate nor teach Copernican astronomy. During 1621 and 1622 I wrote my first book, The Assayer (Il Saggiatore), which was approved and published in 1623. In 1630, I returned to Rome to apply for a license to print the Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, published in Florence in 1632. In October of that year, however, I was ordered to appear before the Holy Office in Rome. Following a papal trial in which I was found vehemently suspected of heresy, I was placed under house arrest and my movements were restricted by the Pope. From 1634 onward I stayed at my country house at Arcetri, outside of Florence. I went completely blind in 1638 and was suffering from a painful hernia and insomnia, so I was permitted to travel to Florence for medical advice. I continued to receive visitors until 1642, when, after suffering fever and heart palpitations, I died.

No comments: