Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tulips

I'm a little sad that I didn't take these photos a few days ago before they started to die. Oops. I started this post talking about the tulips but then I felt compelled to list everything in my flower garden. I even went outside to see what I'd missed. Dad will you look over this and see if I have noted correctly the things you and great-grandpa originally planted? And If any one knows where the daffodils came from.....


These burgundy and yellow tulips I brought from the white house where we lived on Sandhill rd. They were planted by my great-grandpa Christian Jeppesen.


These purple tulips were also planted by my great-grandpa. The red ones were in my flower garden when we moved here.
Other plants I brought with me from the garden at Sandhill rd:
Grape hyacinth -planted by great-grandpa Chris
A small boxwood shrub -planted by my dad (can this be pruned into a topiary?)
Two purple phlox -planted by my dad. I love these.
White Gladiolus --Did dad or great grandpa plant these?
Strawberry plant -planted by Emily -bought with her birthday money several years ago
Pinkish white chrysanthemum -planted by my dad
daffodils-Where did these come from? Dad, were they yours?
Iris-Where did these come from? Dad, were they yours?
Purple flower-don't know the name of, aren't blooming yet, bought at Lowe's 2006 or earlier
An herb -don't know what kind-got at reliefsociety.
Hens and chicks-starts given to me by Verla Siepel

Acquired since I moved to Starcrest:
rust and yellow chrysanthemum- given to me by Miss Snow at the end of school year 2007
(this photo last fall)
2 plants with little composite white flowers -bought at Lowes 2008
Columbine -bought at Lowes 2008, died :( not enough water where I put it

In this garden when we moved in:
red tulips
two rose bushes-one died when I tried to move it :(

2 comments:

chris said...

The grape Hyacinths were in front of (west) of the white house when I was little. The Yellow daffodils and all the tulips I assume my grandpa planted because i dug up the bulbs and and moved them into my flower beds. All of them were over a foot deep and were able to only send up a little leaf. They were too deep to bloom so when I would find them in the grass I would carefully dig and follow the stems down to the bulbs.

Any boxwood will work for topiary as far as I know I planted two types of box wood on the Sandhill. I walked through there last summer with Andy Davis and most of every thing I planted was dead and mowed down. So it really thrills me to know some of it is still growing somewhere else by some one who cares.

When we first moved back to the Sandhill in 2001 your mother was saving for a bed room set. She had about $800 dollars saved and I took it all and bought shrubbery that ended up around 606 and the white house. She was never mad at me but I think it was easier for her to forget it after she got her bedroom set. chris ;o)

Rebecka said...

The white gladiolis are not gladiolis after all. They are blooming now and they are giant, gorgeous white iris.