Saturday, September 12, 2009

Steve's Birthday

Last Thursday was Steve's birthday. I usually go to the bread thrift store and buy Ding Dongs or Twinkies for them to take to their class on their birthday. Well I forgot. Thursday morning I thought if we left a little early we could stop at the Rite Aid, which we walk past, and get a treat for him to take to class. We usually leave at 7:30 so we can be at the school by 8:00, but we left a few minutes earlier. When we got to Rite Aid we saw that they didn't open until 8:00. We ended up going to the Maverick. They had bags of donut gems for 2.99 and they were buy one get one for .49. I got four bags so there would be plenty and was pleased to pay less that 8.00. When I picked Steve up from school he had some left and I asked if there had been enough for every one to have two.

He said, "Mom, I passed out one, and There were two and a half bags left. Mrs. Rhoden gave me a choice; I could pass out another one or I could save the extras. I chose to save the extras."

"But Steve, you only have part of a bag left. What happened to the rest?"

"Well, my classmates kept coming to my desk and asking me for another one. I said no, and they said I'll give you a scholar dollar for one."

"So you sold the donuts for a scholar dollar each?"

"At first I sold them for a dollar but then when there wasn't as many left I told them that if there weren't very many then the price would go up."

"Steve I can't believe you sold your birthday treat. I bought them so you could share!"

"Mom, always before if there were extra you didn't mind what I did with them."

"Well Steve, always before if there was extra it was about 2% of what you took to school. This time the "extra" was more like 75%."

I couldn't believe it. I assumed he knew that he was supposed give them all to his classmates. UGH!

No comments: