Saturday, March 7, 2009

Catching Up

So, I've been neglecting my blogs. I want to turn that around but it may take a while. The last month or so has sometimes been hard to get through. I had a nasty chest cold, the kind that hangs on forever. And have been feeling generally blah for several weeks.


I wrote a fabulous paper for one of my classes. It's probably the best thing I've ever written and my instructor only gave me 20 of 21 points. Okay, so don't be rolling your eyes. A couple of weeks later, I just dashed something off for her; I'm not even certain it all made sense and some of it was definitely reaching. She gave me full credit, even though on my student evaluation I didn't give myself full credit. Go figure.


After the beginning of February I was feeling anxious to go see my Grandma. I hadn't seen her since New Years, although I had talked to her on the phone a few times. Some snippets of our conversations are recorded on my other blog: http://storiesofyesterday.blogspot.com/ . I still had my cold so I wondered if maybe I should wait. It was Friday the 12th and I chatted with my Aunt Colleen to see if she thought I should go to the care center with a cold. She said to ask for a mask at the nurses desk and not to wait to long because she wasn't well, and the Dr. had said not to expect her to make it more than a couple of weeks. I decided to go the next morning as it would be Saturday. When I picked Barry up from work I told him I was going to go see Grandma the next morning and I wanted him to go with me. He said, "We should go tonight." So we did. We were with her from about 6:00-7:00 Friday night. Uncle John and Aunt Nancy were there, and Grandma wasn't so well. She was on a lot of pain medicine but she was still uncomfortable. She would get thirsty, but every time she had a drink she would throw up. She was so miserable and I left the care center praying that it wouldn't really be two weeks. Saturday morning when I got up I was relieved to hear a message from my Dad saying she had passed away at 9:30 Friday night. It was a long week, between then and the funeral the next Friday. I spent a lot of time on the phone and more than used up my minutes. I did reconnect with several of my cousins who I haven't seen in a few years. Thursday morning our classes were cancled and Anne and Lorrie came over for breakfast, after the kids went to school. Thurday night I rode with my parents to Bountifull for a viewing. Addie drove down from Rocksprings for it and I drove her back to Orem. She and the kids stayed at our house thursday night. I let Emma and Steve stay home from school friday and Emma babysat while Addie and I went shopping. We both found something new to wear to the funeral. The Funeral was Friday at 1:30 with a viewing before, internment at the Provo cemetery and a family luncheon afterwards at the church. My Dad's siblings are somewhat divided, and two of my Aunts didn't attend the service. Instead they held a wake at my Aunts house. They released 90 lavender balloons that everyone could attach a memory of Grandma to. We stopped there to visit after the family luncheon. I think it was nearly six before we made it to Marian and Ray's house and we stayed about an hour. We visited mostly with Marian, Karen, and Mike. It was a very long day. One cool thing about our visit was: because John new we were going to Marian's house, he asked me to take Grandma's pearl necklace and earrings to her. Grandma had always said that they would be Marian's, and I got to take them to her. It was a sweet moment.

Sammie with Kara, Steven, Emma with Sarah
Taylor and Chris

Grandma's parents and her owl collection

The casket at the cemetery

No comments: