Sunday, March 22, 2009

Memories of Grandma and Grandpa

Here are some snippets of face book conversation I had with some of my cousins:
"I remember Grandma making soup too, with barley. I'd forgotten that little snippet of a memory. And that put me in her kitchen canning peaches. And now I remember how facinating her kitchen was when I was young, every surface covered. The last thing that comes to mind is a funny memory of Grandma and Grandpa. A friend had come with us, I don't remember who, We wandered into the kitchen and Grandpa was sitting at the table, which was miraculously uncluttered, eating. The meal was something like a shreded wheat biscuit with tuna on top and a raw onion he was eating like an apple. He offered some to us, we wrinkled our noses, and he said, "It tastes like apple." And Grandma said, "Rhodes, leave them alone."

"I remember eating ice cream at grandmas. I remember coaching Jorgen and Addie to ask grandpa for ice cream. I also remember that my dad and brothers would have cones that were rediculously tall."

2 comments:

chris said...

Michele Hadley was most likely your friend. I wish I could eat raw onions like grandpa and Garn Baum they are good for you but I choke on them. I do enjoy a few in salads thought and I love them steamed.
chris ;o)

Rebecka said...

I remember when Michele and I went to grandma's, but I think this memory was when I was younger. Maybe before we moved to GR. I guess maybe it was a cousin?