Saturday, November 8, 2008

The aftermath of Emily's victory, by Emily

The morning of November 5th, as mom said, I got up at five thirty A.M. to hear the results of the presidential election. I went down stairs and I turned on the radio as soon as I heard some talking and not some Christmas music I stopped turning the dial and they said something about Obama wining the election. I almost screamed but then I had to remind myself that it was five thirty A.M. and that if my family wasn't up no one else in the complex would be. So I decided not to scream. Well when I went to school that day I walked into class and it took me a few minuets to decipher the normal morning chatter and political comments like, "I hate Obama" and "lets blow Obama up with a nuclear weapon" and stuff like that. That was when I decided that I would take a survey to find out what everyone thought about the election,(I'll publish the survey later. I can't find it right now). Well that afternoon the kid I sat next to was drawing some pictures that had stuff like himself in a car running over Obama and other stuff like that. So I asked my teacher if I could be news reporter the next day which is were I tell what news is going on in the world. I read these excerpts from McCain's concession speech:

"My friends, we have — we have come to the end of a long journey. The American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly.

In a contest as long and difficult as this campaign has been, his success alone commands my respect for his ability and perseverance. But that he managed to do so by inspiring the hopes of so many millions of Americans who had once wrongly believed that they had little at stake or little influence in the election of an American president is something I deeply admire and commend him for achieving.

This is an historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight.

I urge all Americans ... I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.
It is natural. It's natural, tonight, to feel some disappointment. But tomorrow, we must move beyond it and work together to get our country moving again.

We fought — we fought as hard as we could. And though we feel short, the failure is mine, not yours.

Tonight — tonight, more than any night, I hold in my heart nothing but love for this country and for all its citizens, whether they supported me or Senator Obama — whether they supported me or Senator Obama.

I wish Godspeed to the man who was my former opponent and will be my president. And I call on all Americans, as I have often in this campaign, to not despair of our present difficulties, but to believe, always, in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here.
Americans never quit. We never surrender.
We never hide from history. We make history.

Thank you, and God bless you, and God bless America. Thank you all very much."

--Emily

3 comments:

Rebecka said...

I asked Emilly if her class got her point. She said, "Some of them. They had to listen; I was quoting thier hero."

Emma,
I realy liked McCain's Speech. It was a very patriotic plea for unity.
--Mom

Vicki said...

I think it is impressive that Emily is so interested in politics, and that she has the guts to interview other kids at recess, and share this speech with her classmates. Congratulations to her :)

Leslie said...

Emily, I admire you so much. I hope you will always seek out truth and knowledge and never let anything get in your way! You have an amazing potential to pretty much change the world, so go for it.

Rebecka, how many times can I say it? You are raising amazing kids. They are all so unique and confident and wonderful.