Imagine if you just had a horrible day at school. You get home. You don't have any home work. And all you want to do is relax and watch TV, but as soon as you get in the door your mom says “clean the bathroom, vacuum the floor, do the dishes,” or some other dumb thing like that. That is sort of how my day went.
At the time I was in 4th grade. I had just had an extremely horrible day because, when I was riding the bus home from school, sitting in the back as usual. Chanse, Dallon, and some of their friends were making rude comments, sneering, making faces and laughing at me. Their comments sounded like nails on a black board and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I was pondering how I would feel if I could just go home, watch TV, and do nothing with out being pestered. Not being pestered would be wonderful.
Right when I walked in the door mom told me to wash some dishes first thing. I whined and complained, “Mom, I don’t want to do dishes. Why can’t we just all do our own dishes? That would be lots lots easier. Then it would be our fault if we couldn’t eat dinner. That’s fair don’t you think? And you wouldn’t have to put up with us whining about not wanting to wash all of these dishes.”
“Well, even if we were going to do that, we need clean dishes now so we will be able eat dinner. Wash some dishes.” My mom scolded.
I washed some dishes very slowly and was banging them the whole time. I could tell the banging bugged her. That made me happy. When I was finished I told mom I was going outside to "play”.
I did not play. I sat and pouted in the middle of our browning dry lawn for several minutes doing nothing ‘cause mom wouldn’t let me watch television. But that got boring after awhile so I started thinking about what I could do to get back at mom.
“She’s being so mean…Hmmm…” I mulled over my situation for a little longer.
“I know!” I said after a little bit, “I’ll jump out in the street. Then she’d be sad…No then she’d never find me. Well, maybe she would. I guess I’m just too scared to jump into the street…….I know I’ll jump out of the climbing tree and break my arm.”
I climbed the old tree very quickly seeing as I had climbed it many times before. I climbed up about six of those big bulging gnarly branches sat there for a minute then scurried back down two.
“This isn’t so high…Wouldn’t breaking my arm hurt? Nah, it wouldn’t hurt that bad. Well here goes.”
That half a second I was falling was the weirdest sensation I have ever felt. It was a tingling, half want to scream half want to pass out kind of feeling if you can imagine that.
“Ow, my toe! Man that really hur…wait a second; I wasn’t supposed to stub my toe. I was supposed to break my arm! Ow, that really hurts! Man!”
I gave up. And went running in to see what mom could do to make my toe feel better.
Differentiation Reading Response
16 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment